Friday, April 23, 2010

Not a painful condition?

The doctor that gave me the diagnosis of primary lymphedema stated that the condition was not painful. While I think he is a wonderful doctor and would not have found treatment without him, I still do not agree with him that this is not a painful condition.

This condition is without a doubt uncomfortable. My leg will turn bright red and feel as though it is on fire it is so hot. The swelling causes an ever present feeling of thickness and uncomfortable feeling that never goes away. Then there is the aching feeling and throbbing sensation that I feel at times. In fact, almost every person I have come into contact with have said they do feel pain. I am not saying that I am walking around in excruciating pain all the time, it is not often and usually only accompanies the "bad days" but it is yet another important indication that so much more research needs to be done about this condition.

I am truly grateful for the bandages and they have without a doubt changed my life but I can't help but think while I roll and wrap every single night that there has to be something more that can treat and possibly cure this condition. Wrapping seems archaic compared to the medical advances of our time.

Luckily, there are people out there trying to find answers. Here are some of them:

http://www.lymphaticresearch.org/main.php?content=home

and

http://www.lymphovenous-canada.ca/

and

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~witte/ISL.htm

And that is all I have found now but will continue the search for others working towards treatment options and possibly a solution to lymphedema.

No comments: