Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Goodbye Dear Friend

I have yet to formally say goodbye to a dear friend of mine: running. Before my lymphedema set in fully, I was running most days of the week and I have to say that I loved running. I felt free when I ran as though nothing could touch me.

When my leg started severely swelling I stopped running because my leg was heavy and it hurt to run. After treatment, I eagerly looked at my doctor and asked him when I could return to running. He told me running was one of the worst things I could do for my leg. He also informed me I could no longer get pedicures--double blow...

Just in case, I asked each of my occupational therapists (I had two) and they both said no.

Since then I have avoided my Nike shorts and brightly colored sports bras and all of my running apparel. I wear my running shoes on "bad days".

So, I wanted to take a moment to tell running goodbye. We had it great while it lasted.

And to all of you who had to give up something because of this condition, I hope you can find something that will replace what you miss.

No comments: