Monday, May 24, 2010

Reply to Comment by Elaine Sandhurst (UK)

It must be incredibly difficult to deal with this condition in both legs and I could not imagine the frustration and pain that accompanies this.

I do want to add, however, that my leg improved considerably with wrapping. I have much less pain, less swelling, increased ability to exercise, increased self esteem, etc. If my other leg develops Lymphedema, I would try to incorporate wrapping both legs in my life. It would be time consuming and frustrating but it could improve my condition and prevent my legs from worsening. I have experienced the result of not having any treatment on my leg and not wrapping it as I went a year without the correct diagnosis so in order to avoid the pain and extreme swelling I had to deal with for that year, I would wrap both legs.

Also, there are compression garments called sleeves and they make them for the legs now. Although they are so expensive (two would cost anywhere from $200-$400) I think I would try to save up for these items. These sleeves supposedly work just as well as wrapping yet you just have to put them on like pants. That is another possibility, albeit an expensive one.

Again, I want to stress that I do not know what it must be like to have to deal with both legs and I empathize for those that do. That would be a major struggle and would take a very strong individual to deal with the extremity of this condition.

No comments: