Monday, August 30, 2010

Walking and Saving

I have recently taken my exercise up a notch. I live about a mile and a half from work which is nice and convenient. It is far enough away for me to take public transportation. I used to hate getting to work "icky" with the heat and humidity but I have decided that in spite of feeling icky, I would walk to and from work. I just bring my deodorant, a fragrance and a fresh shirt to change into.

So this was my walking schedule last week:

Monday: 1.5 miles(only walked home from work)
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: 3 miles
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: 4 miles
-Walked to and from work and walked about a mile to get lunch
Saturday (yes I had to work...): 3 miles

Total: 17.5

My goal this week is to walk 20 miles!


Now onto my saving money:

Before, I was only walking home but taking the train to work each morning so I spent $2.25 each day on the train. Walking to work this week saves me $11.25 and saves $45 per month. In two months time, I have saved up enough to buy new compression stockings. Woohoo right?

I realize that not everyone is as close to work as I am and public transportation or driving is a must. If you have an hour lunch break, you could take a 20-30 minute walk and save the other time to eat. Then when you get home, all you have to put in is another 20-30 minutes of walking and then bam, you're done for the day.

Other ways to add in exercise throughout the day:
-Walk up the stairs rather than take the elevator
-Park in the farthest parking spot possible so you have to walk
-If there is a lunch place right next to your office, avoid it, go for the one about .5 miles away then you have walked a mile, cleared your head and gotten some Vitamin D.

That is all of my words of wisdom for the day :)

No comments: